Old sand and gravel quarry with grassland and scrub; excellent for wildflowers and butterflies.
The disused Marford Quarry has become colonised by many interesting plants and butterflies. It is a disused sand and gravel quarry. Originally opened in 1927 to provide materials for the construction of the Mersey Tunnel, quarrying ceased in 1971 when the 39 acres were allowed to regenerate naturally. The area was designated a SSSI in 1989 and 26 acres were purchased in 1990 by the North Wales Wildlife Trust as a nature reserve.
The reserve is some 2.5 miles NNE of Wrexham and is immediately W of the village of Marford. Approach the main entrance by turning into Springfield Lane (50 yds N of the Trevor Arms Hotel) on the B5445 at Marford (between Rossett and Gresford). The entrance to the reserves is approximately 400 yds on the left - immediately prior to the railway bridge. Parking is available either side of the bridge
For further information on this reserve, please contact Graham Berry on 01352 810469 or by email.
Other NWWT nature reserves >>
North Wales Wildlife Trust
Marford Quarry SJ357 560 (26 acres)